We Want to Make a Difference

We are a relatively new charity but with big plans. Trafalgar Street Church has been empty and unused for nearly 10 years. It is a Grade II Listed building in the City of Hull and needs urgent action to save it from futher damage.

Our first task is to raise enough money to buy and make the Church wind- and water-proof. 

Building history

The 1,675 sq yd site on the corner of Trafalgar Street/ Beverley Road was acquired in 1890 for £1,600.  Designs were prepared for a new church and school, to be constructed at a cost of £6,000 but as the whole scheme was too large to be taken on at once, it was decided to build the lecture hall and classrooms facing Trafalgar Street.  The foundation stone laid on 19 October 1891, by Mr C. H. Wilson, M.P.

Beverley Road, Trafalgar Street or Central Church: opened in 1906, after the union of Trafalgar Street and George Street in 1903. It was designed by G. Baines & Son of London in a simplified Gothic style, and built with a flint facade and redbrick dressings at a cost of £9,000. The chapel was closed in 1938 and became an undenominational church; it was still so used in 1964.

Recent History

It appears the church was no longer used by the Baptist congregation after 2002 but used by a federation of independent evangelical churches group known as HOPE. When vacated, the whole site was sold and the former Sunday School that adjoined by internal doors (now closed) has been converted to flats.

Initially on the Market for £160,000, it was last year, we understand, put up for auction with a much lower reserve.

We understand the planning permission and listed building consent expire in August.

The building is in a poor state of repair due to water ingress and is on the ‘at risk List’ and also subject to enforcement action from the Planning Authority.







WORKING TO PROTECT OUR HERITAGE

Community Web Kit provided free by BT